Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday Soup Day: Chicken, Sausage, Basil & Spinach


We have designated Sunday Soup Day. In the fall, we typically entertain a number of guests during Packers football games. I thoroughly enjoy making a large pot of homemade soup, so this becomes the ideal time to do just that. I'm sure we will still have Sunday Soup Day even if the Packers are not playing.

Today I paged through a few cooking magazines and found a chicken, arugula and orzo soup in Every Day with Rachel Ray. This gave me a few ideas and I ended up putting together my own new recipe that included chicken, sausage, basil, spinach and other fresh vegetables.

I was short on time after returning home from church behind schedule. I pulled out my "As Seen On TV" Onion Chopper to quickly chop my vegetables. I chopped one yellow onion, one zucchini, some leeks and one yellow pepper. Then, I poured some extra virgin olive oil into the pot and added the vegetables. I also added a lot of seasonings. I love the McCormick brand Italian seasonings. They're great. I used Garlic & Black Pepper, Garlic & Basil and Garlic & Roasted Peppers seasonings. It seems like a lot of garlic seasoning, but we were out of fresh garlic cloves. I sauteed everything for about 15 minutes until the vegetables were soft.

Next, I added about 8 ounces of vegetable stock and let the veggies cook while I pan fried two chicken breasts and microwaved the precooked Italian sausage (Johnsonville, of course). I sliced the chicken and sausage and added two boxes of chicken stock to the pot.Once the pot had all of the needed stock, I added sliced mushrooms, frozen spinach and chopped basil.

The final touch was the uncooked orzo. I let the soup simmer for about 20 more minutes until the orzo was fully cook.

The completed project looked very busy, but my soups are always very busy. It had a very simple taste, though. The spinach and basil balanced each other quite well. The basil was very strong, but the spinach was bland. The sausage absorbed the broth and was tenderly sweet. Overall, the soup was great.

I don't know if it is a combination of using a cast-iron pot and very good ingredients or if it is my creativity and desire, but everyone seems to be extremely happy about my soups. It makes me look forward to the next concoction that I put together. I know it is going to be every Sunday, at the least, because Sunday is Soup Day.

Ingredients:
1 yellow onion
1 yellow pepper
1/4 stalk leeks
1 zucchini
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
8 ounces vegetable stock
64 ounces chicken stock
2 medium chicken breasts
4 precooked sausage links

Music: Karen O & The Kids - All Is Love
Weather: 60-degrees and sunny


No comments:

Post a Comment