Thursday, October 29, 2009

Street Vendors, San Diego

Today I took a stab at my best Andrew Zimmern impersonation and ate at a street vendor in San Diego. About one mile north of the boarder, in an AutoZone parking lot, a street taco stand held a firm presence. I had to stop and try a few tacos after spending some time walking the beach.

The stand on Palm and 13th was littered with regulars and offered a large variety of Mexican food, including tacos, burritos and other Spanish words that I was not familiar with. After recommendations from a gentleman who claimed to have eaten there all of the time, I chose the Taco Gubernator, Especial Isaac and Pescada. I also purchased a Coca-Cola in a glass bottle straight from Mexico.

I placed my order (in English) and waited nearly ten minutes for freshly prepared tacos. While I was waiting, the chef gave me some homemade soup that included clamato juice, celery, onions, cilantro and random meats. It was extremely flavorful. When the tacos arrived, I offered to pay, but the chef seemed very trusting and said I could pay whenever I was ready. Strange. I gave him $8.75 and ate the BEST taco that I've ever had in my life (see the video below)!

I feel as though my trip to San Diego was a complete success because I ate real street tacos and they were amazing. Street vendor eating has definitely become a new hobby of mine. It gives a real sense of the local flavor.

Music: Justin Timberlake - Summer Love
Weather: 71-degrees, sunny

No comments:

Post a Comment