Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pumpkin Cheesecake

To remain consistent with my attempt to use recipes that include the color orange, I decided to make a Pumpkin Cheesecake. Saturdays have been designated "Dessert Day" in the little world of Kevin Eats. Last week, I had a lot of success with pie, so I thought I would take another stab at it. This has successfully been the second real pie that I have ever made.

I searched the Epicurious website for a pumpkin cheesecake recipe that I could manage on my own. I'm shocked by how long the preparation time is for cheesecake. Most of the recipes recommended the cheesecake sit in the refrigerator overnight. I didn't want a NoBake Cheesecake, but I did want to eat it tonight. All that hard work should pay off, right?

I still haven't been able to taste the pumpkiny goodness, but it looks like it turned out well. I had a spoon full of the cream cheese and sugar mixture and thought I was briefly in heaven (actually, that's not true, heaven is going to be way better than cheesecake, but I bet cheesecake will be in heaven). I was concerned about the consistency of the filling before I baked it, but it looks like it has the perfect consistency. I didn't put enough fatty ingredients in the filling to promise Cheesecake Factory quality, but I'm still confident that it will satisfy my sweet tooth.

I bought a premade crust because I knew that I'd have had too much difficulty making a crust while taking care of Isaiah. The filling didn't take a lot of time and was very straightforward, which was nice. I fluffed the cream cheese and then added the sugar and brown sugar. I blended it until it was fluffy again. Then, I added the eggs and egg white one at a time and stirred them in separately. Finally, I put the rest of the ingredients in the bowl and mixed them together. It took roughly 15 minutes while I entertained Isaiah on the side with silly dancing and singing. He was amused (so was I).

I poured the filling into the pie crust and slid it in the oven at 350-degrees. I baked it for 65 minutes until the filling "puffed" up and the center moved only slightly.

I will post my review of this pumpkin cheesecake in the comments section as soon as I try it. I'm excited.

Ingredients:
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1 cup canned pure pumpkin
3/4 cup half and half
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt

Music: Adele - Chasing Pavements
Weather: 55-degrees and sunny



1 comment:

  1. Are you planning on making dessert for the weekend of November 7-8? I hope so, because I'm not the only one who's interested in your kitchen skills that weekend.

    ReplyDelete