Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Steve's Pizza Palace, River Falls

When you drive down Main Street in River Falls, WI, you notice the impact of today's economy as local businesses are disappearing daily. The number of vacant buildings with "For Lease" signs in the window are haunting. Even with the economic impact, one thing remains constant on the streets of River Falls--pizza. This quaint college town has slowly turned into a suburb of Minneapolis/St. Paul, but you can always find locally owned pizza joints alongside national franchises. The best place in town, far and away, is Steve's Pizza Palace.

Steve's is great for a variety of reasons. They are most known for their delicious thin crust pizza. As you drive past this establishment, you can see the pizza makers tossing the dough into the air through the large picture windows facing Main Street. This family-owned business also offers a full menu of traditional Greek food. Hall of Fame quaterback Joe Montana claims that they have the best pizza he's ever had. I agree. There is nothing like it (although, Ted's Pizza in Menomonie comes close as 'Ted' is 'Steve's' brother). It is also very popular because it stays open until 3:00am on weekends and draws large crowds from the surrounding bars.

I have tried nearly every pie on the menu. I recommend the Elizabeth Special, Friday Special and plain cheese, but my all-time favorite is a special-ordered shrimp and gyro pizza with Tzatziki sauce on the side. My favorite chef, Ben, makes it perfectly for me. In fact, I have eaten so many shrimp and gyro pizzas made by Ben that I can tell when he doesn't make mine. With my business directly across the street, we have developed an inside joke, of sorts, about the shrimp and gyro pizza as my athletes stroll across the street to pick-up my orders.

Steve's Pizza Palace is a must if you have the opportunity to visit River Falls and are looking for somewhere to eat. It has a tremendous, friendly feel and you will be blown away by the thin crust pizza.

110 N. Main St.
(715) 425-8284




No comments:

Post a Comment