Friday, April 26, 2013

Griddle Cakes

I love making pancakes in the morning with my family.  On Saturday mornings, I feel like I'm deep in the woods in a log cabin when I'm mixing the batter.  I found a recipe in the most recent Bon Appetit magazine for Blackberry Farm's famous Griddle Cakes.  They were a perfect fit coming from the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee to the first real spring day in Northwest Wisconsin.

I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand, so I substituted the called-for buckwheat flour with regular white flour.  It probably would have been worth the trip to the grocery store.  Without the buckwheat, the pancakes took on more of cornbread taste than what I had imagined.  They were still very good, however, buckwheat is a crucial ingredient.

Of course, I used a cast-iron skillet which made the process somewhat lengthy.

Ingredients:
1 large egg
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup oat flour
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup white flour (this where buckwheat belongs...)
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
Vegetable oil (for skillet)

No comments:

Post a Comment